Lamb Koftas with Yoghurt Dressing
This Lamb Kofta s with Yoghurt Dressing recipe draws out the smell of Middle Eastern spices as they cook which is wonderful! Whether you cook them traditionally over charcoal, or on a gas BBQ they are amazing, but even midweek on the stove.
- 1 lb / 500 g lamb mince (ground lamb)
- 1/2 onion, grated
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 3 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp coriander
- 3 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (this is a bit spicy, reduce to taste or leave out)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 black pepper
- 1 cup yogurt , Greek or other thick plain
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic , crushed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper , each
- Yogurt Sauce: Combine the yogurt sauce ingredients and leave in fridge for at least 20 minutes for the flavour to develop (overnight even better!).
- Koftas: Grate the onion into the bowl using a standard box grater. Add remaining Kofta ingredients and mix well with your hands.
- Shaping: With damp hands, divide the meat into 8 equal pieces, shape into a rough shape and then cling film role them into perfect shapes before refrigerating them for at least two hours or better still over night.
Stove: Preheat 1/2 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook in batches for 5 minutes in total, turning to brown evenly all over.
BBQ: BBQ on medium high for about 6 minutes, rotating to brown all over.