Smoked Duck, Fig & Grilled Pear Salad
Make a culinary statement with this smoked duck, fig & grilled pear salad. Tender slices of home smoked duck breast with sweetness of fresh figs, the stickiness of grilled pears topped with soft Chèvre goat’s cheese.
A simple to pre-prepare yet elegant salad that can be pulled together last minute. I finish this salad in two different ways, with either ripped goat’s cheese or with a whole Crottin de Chavignol, (if I can find them!) that I’ve lightly crumbed and baked to top the finished salad giving that extra texture and style to an already impress looking dish.
- 1 medium duck breast smoked and thinly sliced.
- 1 large cup or handful baby rocket leaves.
- 1 large cup or handful baby spinach leaves.
- 1 large firm pear cored and sliced into 8 or more wedges – not too thin or thick.
- 3 large fresh figs. Sliced into small wedges.
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced.
- 45 grams Chèvre soft goats cheese.
- 1 tablespoon fig balsamic vinegar.
- Drizzle of quality olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon of chopped hazelnuts or walnuts.
- Place the sliced pear wedges on a preheated griddle pan and brush with olive oil. Cook on each side for a few minutes until you start to see those nice caramelised grill marks. You don’t want the pear too soft.
- Arrange the greens, duck slices, pear wedges, figs, and thinly sliced onion on individual plates or one large serving plate.
- Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. (You can also combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss to coat with balsamic and oil. Plating is easier for building your salad in situ at a picnic.
- Top with small chunks of goats cheese, sprinkle with nuts and serve.